INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF UROLOGICAL PATHOLOGY (ISUP) 2013 YEAR-END UPDATE
December 16, 2013
2013 has been an extremely eventful and productive year for ISUP! Here are some highlights since the March ISUP meeting at the USCAP Meeting in Baltimore.
- April 20-21, 2013: Spring Scientific Meeting of the International Academy of Pathology, Hong Kong Division (HKIAP). This was a joint meeting of the HKIAP and ISUP, hosted by Dr. Gary Tse, at The Chinese University of Hong Kong in the Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, with a focus on prostate cancer, kidney cancer, and bladder cancer. ISUP speakers included Drs. Trpkov, Srigley, Humphrey, Egevad, Montironi, Zhou, Magi-Galluzzi, and Samaratunga.
- April 27-28, 2013: ISUP lectures in Shanghai (Fudan University Cancer Hospital). ISUP speakers included Drs. Trpkov, Magi-Galluzzi, Egevad, and Zhou.
- August 31 to September 4, 2013: European Society of Pathology (ESP) in Lisbon, Portugal. An ISUP-ESP Uropathology joint conference was given on what is new in prostate and other male genital tumors. Speakers included Drs. Montironi, Magi-Galuzzi, Christiansen, Berney, and Kakies.
- September 5-8, 2013, Asia Pacific International Academy of Pathology (APIAP), Busan, South Korea. A GU Pathology slide seminar was presented (by Drs. Delahunt, Pan, Wang, Desai, Tan, Takahashi, Paner, Samaratunga, Srigley, Jimenez) and there were two ISUP sponsored symposia: One was an update on prostate pathology, chaired by Drs. Choi and Tan, and the second was an update on urothelial and renal pathology, chaired by Drs. Shen and Yang. Speakers were Drs. Amin, Egevad, Zhou, Bostwick, Tickoo, Grignon, Tamboli and Osunkoya. Dr. Jae Ro was awarded a Certificate of Appreciation in a special ceremony.
- October 2013: Publication in The American Journal of Surgical Pathology of the Proceedings of the ISUP Consensus Conference on Renal Neoplasia in Vancouver. These publications included an editorial on Rationale and Organization by leaders of the conference – Drs. Delahunt, Egevad, Montironi, and Srigley. This was followed by a remarkable series of 4 papers:
The ISUP Vancouver Classification of Renal Neoplasia, by Delahunt B, Cheville J, Martignoni G, et al.
The ISUP Grading System for Renal Cell Carcinoma and Other Prognostic Factors, by Delahunt B, Cheville JC, Martignoni G, et al.
Handling and Staging of Renal Cell Carcinoma: The ISUP Consensus Conference Recommendations, by Trpkov K, Grignon DJ, Bonsib SM, et al.
Renal Tumors: Diagnostic and Prognostic Biomarkers, by Tan PH, Cheng L, Rioux-Leclercq N, et al.
Do note that all ISUP members of the Renal Tumor Panel are listed in Pubmed as authors.
- The proceedings of the 2013 ISUP special conference on Best Practices Recommendations in the Application of Immunohistochemistry in Diagnostic Urologic Pathology held at the Annual Meeting in Baltimore are currently being prepared as papers for publication. This project is spearheaded by Drs. Epstein and Amin.
- The ISUP is formally represented as a contributing Society in a forthcoming publication on The Critical Role of the Pathologist in Determining Eligibility of Active Surveillance as a Management Option in Patients with Prostate Cancer. This work is being led by Dr. Mahul Amin. The paper includes Clinical perspective of active surveillance (Lin, Gore, et al), Tumor extent and other pathological findings (Srigley, Samaratunga, et al), Gleason grading (Egevad et al) and Ancillary molecular diagnostic tests (Rubin et al).
Plans for 2014 and 2015 ISUP Annual Meetings at the USCAP meeting 2014, San Diego, California:
Saturday March 1, 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm: ISUP Reception
Saturday March 1, 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm: Annual General Meeting
Saturday March 1, 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm: Companion Meeting.
The theme is:
PREMALIGNANCY OF THE GENITOURINARY TRACT
Moderators: Drs. Samaratunga and McKenney
7:00 pm: Introduction and President’s Remarks – Dr. Humphrey
7:15 pm: Premalignant lesions of the prostate – Dr. Rubin
7:50 pm: Premalignant lesions of the bladder – Dr. Comperat
8:25 pm: Premalignant lesions of the penis – Dr. Cubilla
9:00 pm: Hot topics in GU Pathology : A dialogue with the experts
Similar to last year, we will have an expert dialogue and debate, featuring Dr. John Srigley and Dr. David Grignon, following the Companion meeting lectures. This format proved to be highly popular last year and is a great way to address new and sometimes controversial topics in GU pathology. Please submit any topics you would like addressed to email@example.com.
Sunday March 2nd: Grawitz dinner. More details on this event will be available soon.
2015: Planning is underway for an ISUP consensus conference on Testis/Penile Neoplasia to be held at the ISUP annual meeting at the USCAP in 2015.
We are looking forward to an outstanding 2014 for the ISUP! We will be sending out shortly a listing of all the ISUP-related meetings for 2014.
Peter A. Humphrey, MD, PhD